Saturday, January 13, 2007

Can a speaker with no receiver pick up a broadcast?

The strangest thing happened today. While we were still sleeping we were awakened by the sound of a man talking. The sound, which was like a man chatting through his walkie-talkie, was coming from inside the room. Peering out the window to make sure that there isn't some dodgy guy hanging outside, I saw a fire engine parked outside on the street. There wasn't anyone climbing around though.

I double checked the telly and made sure it was turned off. It was. The PC was also turned off but the connected speakers (a JBL) were left on. Listening closely I found that the voice of the man was crackling through the speaker. According to Jenni some of the words she picked up were "gas", "5-2-1" etc. Thinking that we have picked up the radio transmission of the firemen outside, I turned it off and went back to bed before realising how peculiar it was that the speaker, not having a radio receiver, could be receiving broadcasted radio communication. I just hope this isn't one of those so-called freaky "paranormal activities"! An explanation from a wise engineer would be appreciated.

6 comments:

Howsy said...

White noise perhaps? :P

Jon Choo said...

That would be fun. But I think the explanation would be far more simple than that.

Anonymous said...

Yes it can. I think longwave is the most likely, but I might be wrong. Anyway, it'll be an analogue signal as digital would give you the beeping noise that you get if you leave your mobile too close to your radio.

This link should help: http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/computer_interference.htm

Of course, don't tell Jennie it's normal, tell her it's a ghost or something ;)

Jon Choo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jon Choo said...

I thought it would have something to do with AM transmission as I read about something like that a long time ago. Google failed me bad today.

Thanks!

BTW, it is quite difficult to scare her off!

Me on the other hand...

High Power Rocketry said...

: )