Friday, October 29, 2010

Samsung Omnia 7 HD 720p video recording sample

I have to admit I am not a fan of recording videos, preferring to capture images instead - but videos are all the rage these days. It would be silly not to test the feature on the Samsung Omnia 7.

I took the chance yesterday evening at a Stella Artois World Draught Masters event (more on this later) to test the Omnia 7's 720p video recording. The video capabilities is pretty standard. Options includes 720p or VGA resolution (it defaults to VGA - much to my annoyance), contrast, saturation, sharpness, exposure compensation and white balance. As far as I know, the UI and settings are part of Windows Phone 7 standard.

Videos are recorded in MP4 format. I am not certain what bitrate is used, but I suspect it is variable. A three and a half minute 720p video footage like the one below came up at 158MB. Audio is encoded in AAC.

The video quality looks decent enough for one that is recorded via a mobile phone (though I've seen better), and seems to be better than those captured via my old Canon SX200. Samsung claims that it records in 25fps, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it. Auto focus is continuous as evident from the video below.

No comments: